Thursday, June 2, 2011

Water, mosquitoes and frustration

Water, Mosquitoes and frustration

I had a chance to visit Infants of Jesus Orphanage (Lesly's place) yesterday. It has been raining a lot but I was still surprised at how much water they have on the ground. On our way in, we followed a large dump truck filled with gravel. I wondered outloud to Patrick if the truck was going to Lesly's. Sure enough, we followed it right in. As soon as we went through the gate, I could see why they needed that gravel. The yard was a swamp. The only ones that are happy are the ducks! The kids and workers are consigned to a small area of ground. Two large tents have been destroyed and there is a makeshift covering over the kitchen area. I had an appointment with Lesly, but he was not there. So, we visited for awhile. Soon the mosquitoes started to attack. The kids surrounded me and took it as their personal mission to keep the mosquitoes off of me. Little hands were swatting me. As soon as they would squish a mosquito, they had to show me the blood. It was so uncomfortable that I decided to go and meet with Lesly another day. Besides, I had another appointment. It happened that we saw Lesly riding home on a tap-tap. He saw us too. We stopped, he jumped off the tap-tap and we had our meeting in the truck on the side of the road. Lesly was very tense and displayed a lot of frustration. I think that in his view, a lot of people come to "observe" the orphanage, take pictures, give vague promises and then leave. After a somewhat combative meeting we finally worked things out and both of us ended up friendly.

The orphanage desperately needs to build up the living areas with gravel so that they aren't living in the swamp throughout the season. If you would like to help, please go to the web page and donate any amount towards "gravel". It sure would be appreciated! Have a great day everyone and may God Bless you in all of your endeavors for good.
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment