Friday, July 1, 2011

Two snap shots

As my team and I prepare to go home I wanted to reflect on two snap shots from the week.  The first snap shot and lesson I learned was from my favorite place in Haiti Mother Theresa's Home for the dying.  It was one of the first places I wanted to come back to when I heard I was getting the chance to go Haiti again.  We were on the way over and we were told we may not even be able to get in but when we arrived the gates opened right before us and we were welcomed in.  I went up into the room for women and walked into girls braiding each other's hair and going about living.  I sat down with a group of teenage girls and just talked and laughed with them.  They started singing a song I knew by Rihanna I sang along with them and we just laughed and laughed.  I could not believe that moments before I had been praying with a woman as a nurse was laying a sheet over the woman in the bed next to her  to declare that she had passed.  It was amazing for me to see that in the midst of all this death there was still life and joy.  We all have moments of pain and of fear of what is next, but with God's love we can live a life full of joy no matter what comes are way.

The second snap shot is seeing the FFCIN Mobile Reading Center in action.  It was amazing pulling up to Pascal's with the mobile reading center and seeing all the children running out to the truck because we were  an 1 1/2 late.  They wanted for 90 minutes to learn more English and Math.  I do not think as a child that I would wait 90 minutes to learn anything.  But these children love it.  They cannot get enough of it, even when we are trying to go they hand us papers to correct and try to keep us for a longer time.  It is going to be a great addition to FFCIN and it is a project that has so much more potential.

It was a great week in Haiti and my team and I left so much but are taking even more home to New York.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment